Blow your mates away with this fusion recipe, which combines the flavours from the East with classic cut chips from the West.
Prep: 20 minutes (plus 30 minutes chilling time)
Cook: 30 minutes
For the chips:
- 4 large potatoes, preferably Maris Piper, King Edward (about 300g each)
- 2-3 tbsp of sunflower oil
For the chicken skewers::
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 450g skinless chicken breast, cut into long strips
For the dipping sauce::
- juice of 5 fresh limes
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- Heat oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Mix together the garlic, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sugar.
- Add the chicken strips and toss to coat evenly. Marinate for about 30 minutes.
- To make the dipping sauce, combine lime juice, sugar, black pepper and salt.
- Pour into individual dipping dishes.
- Square off four sides of each unpeeled potato, and then cut into thick even-shaped chips.
- Put the chips into a large pot of salted cold water, and bring to the boil.
- As soon as the water is boiling, drain the chips, and tip them onto kitchen paper to dry thoroughly.
- Put the dry chips into a large bowl. Add 2-3 tbsp sunflower oil and toss to coat all the chips with a covering of oil.
- Spread the chips onto a baking tray.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, shaking every now and again, until the chips are cooked and golden brown.
- Thread the chicken onto 8 skewers.
- Preheat the grill to medium and cook the skewers under the grill, for 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally.