Laurence O'Bryan, author of the acclaimed The Istanbul Puzzle, was inspired to begin his novel series in Istanbul as his wife Zeynep hails from the city. Over the past 15 years Laurence has fallen in love with the mysterious qualities of the city and frequently cooks the cuisine that evokes trips to Istanbul.
Laurence is now sharing his recipe for traditional Minced Lamb & Spinach Gozleme - a dish which is traditionally served as a delicious savoury breakfast in Turkey.
- 6 ready-made medium thickness sheets of Filo pastry
- 300g mincemeat (lamb or beef - substitute with feta cheese & parsley for a vegetarian option)
- 200g Spinach
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- Salt & pepper
- 1 - 2 tbs olive oil
- Grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the onions, fry and stir occasionally until light brown on a medium/low heat.
- Add the meat and chopped pepper, fry until medium brown, stirring occasionally.
- When cooked add the Spinach for a final minute until it reduces to blend with the meat.
- For the vegetarian option crumble the feta with chopped parsley in a bowl.
- Lay out the filo pastry in 6 inch square sheets. If the pastry is of the very thin kind use two sheets.
- Put your filling in the center, spread out thinly in a square shape. Then fold the four sides in, covering the filling completely, using a little water, brushed on, to help seal them.
- Grate a little cheddar cheese on top of the filling, if you wish.
- Fry each in 1 tablespoon of olive oil on a medium heat, on each side, until golden brown.
- Optionally serve with fresh chopped tomatoes, fresh chopped onion, chopped parsley, lemon juice, all drizzled with olive oil for a brunch.
- Enjoy your Gozleme hot with fresh coffee or whatever tea you like.
Laurence O'’Bryan is author of The Manhattan Puzzle, the sequel to the critically acclaimed The Istanbul Puzzle. The Manhattan Puzzle is available nationwide from 10th October 2013.