A twist on a pub classic. If you want to go totally retro, serve the scampi in a basket.
This salad cream is made with fresh cream so it is not suitable to be kept for longer than a day or two.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
For the salad cream:
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp English mustard
- pinch of caster sugar
- 2 tbsp white wine or cider vinegar
- 4-5 tbsp single cream
- salt and pepper
For the chips:
- 4 medium potatoes, such as Maris Piper, King Edward or Desirée (about 1kg)
- 2-3 tbsp sunflower oil
For the scampi:
- 1 tsp fine lemon zest
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 20 large raw prawns, peeled
- 4 slices multigrain bread, made into breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- curly parsley and lemon wedges, to serve
- Boil the eggs for 9 minutes.
- Once cold, peel the eggs and remove the yolks.
- Mash the yolks with the vinegar and mustard in a bowl until as smooth as possible.
- Slowly add the cream until you have a smooth sauce.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into long chips of an equal width.
- Put the chips in a large pot of salted cold water and bring to the boil.
- As soon the water comes up to the boil, drain the chips and tip them onto a bit of kitchen paper to dry.
- Tip the dry chips into a large bowl.
- Add 2-3 tbsp sunflower oil and toss to coat all the chips with a covering of oil.
- Spread the chips on a large non-stick baking tray. Roast for 35 - 45 minutes, turning occasionally.
- When cooked they should be golden brown and crisp with a light fluffy centre.
- Place the breadcrumbs on a baking tray and toast in the oven for 10 minutes, then remove and mix in the lemon zest. Wipe the baking sheet clean and oil lightly.
- Place the beaten egg in a shallow dish.
- Place the flour in another shallow bowl.
- Rinse the prawns thoroughly and dry well with kitchen paper.
- Dip the prawns into the flour, then into the egg and then the breadcrumbs and place on a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until the prawns are cooked, serve immediately with the chips.
Do not overcrowd the potatoes, and if necessary use two baking trays
For a great shortcut you can buy breadcrumbs
For a low fat alternative use crème fraiche