Teeth, is it possible to lighten the tooth enamel at home? Why can’t you achieve perfect whiteness in your home? 5 major mistakes of self-whitening teeth.
Teeth whitening at home is using spinning and special dental products to create a snow-white smile. Since going to the dentist for the same purpose requires money and considerable money, it is tempting to remove yellowness on your own. However, even after a lot of work on the teeth, often the goal cannot be achieved. This is due to typical mistakes that can be avoided by consulting an expert.
Mistake # 1. Basically the wrong approach to whitewashing
Before whitening your teeth at home, it is important to understand why they are basically yellow. The difficulty lies in the fact that ordinary people do not understand the arrangements for color formation. For the most part, people are sure that their teeth have just turned yellow “from dirt”. Especially if you do not look at them closely for many years and only after someone’s comments suddenly notice that the smile is not at all the same as in the picture in a glossy magazine.
Meanwhile, experts mention two key factors that determine the color of teeth:
- Nature conditioned shade;
- External influences.
Because people in advertisements for toothpaste or dental services literally enchanted with a sparkling smile, many viewers, who notice the difference in their favor, are desperate for how to quickly whiten their teeth at home. By nature, they should not be snow white.
What we see in the mirror is the effect of the combination of enamel and tooth veil that lies deeper. However, the enameled skin is almost transparent. Specifically, it has a slight shade of yellow. And this is good: it comes from the minerals that make our teeth strong and durable. As for the dentin, it is completely yellow, even with a brown color. Because it is mainly composed of minerals. Shadows can vary in whiteness or vice versa.
Nevertheless, if you are worried about yellow teeth before you whiten your enamel at home, you should thank nature for this:
- Thanks to the large mineral storage, excellent resistance to tooth decay is ensured. Therefore, visits to the dentist will be rare.
- In addition to being strong, teeth with high mineral content do not cause allergic problems. When the glaze is white with a matte effect, there is a problem with an acute reaction to various stimuli.
- Nature has come up with a unique structure for each tooth. As a result, molars, gums, and canines, even in one person, are not the same color. The yellower the surface, the stronger the unit. As this means that the dentin is saturated with minerals to the maximum.
Mistake # 2. Deal with the impact, not the cause
Lack of knowledge of the properties of enamel, some people, who are looking for ways to whiten their teeth at home in 5 minutes, find nothing better than rubbing and rubbing the surface and trying to remove the “dirt” only mechanically. Others embark on chemical experiments using recipes to remove all the same “contaminants” with various homemade compounds.
If the yellowing is due to its natural color, such studies are only harmful. The integrity of the enamel is compromised, making the teeth painful, sensitive, and prone to tooth decay. But at the same time, it is not possible to achieve the whiteness that everyone dreamed of.
When it comes to external factors that change color, not everything is as simple as it seems. Before whitening your teeth at home with hydrogen peroxide or otherwise, it is important to understand the causes of jaundice.
The condition of the enamel affects:
- Abuse of sweet food;
- Frequent consumption of beverages and food with persistent colors;
- Dental disease;
It is impossible to determine the exact cause of jaundice on your own. Of course, if you smoke, you may suspect that nicotine and combustion products have entered the stain and stained it. Then you should try whitening your teeth at home with baking soda. Pigments in food and drink work in a similar way.
If we are talking about the abuse of sweets, then the method of changing the shade is different. In this case, bacteria settle on the enamel, where it is sweetened with nutrients. The microbial metabolism products effectively dilute the protective skin of the tooth. It will be completely transparent, yellow dentin is clearly visible.
With age, the glaze naturally becomes thinner. In fact, during her long life, she has undergone various trials. So it is unlikely that teeth whitening at home can change the situation radically. And you should definitely not try to use “nuclear” methods, which further destroy the epidermis.
Finally, an independent struggle with yellow teeth can be completely ineffective, as discoloration often causes complex dental disease. Especially if the shadow of literally one dog or ditch has changed significantly. Instead of picking up a prescription for whitening teeth at home, it is better to hurry to the doctor. He will determine the specific cause of the eclipse, and prescribe treatment. And if really needed, an expert will recommend a truly effective whitening product.
Even if teeth whitening at home, according to reviews, turned out to be a miracle for someone, it is not a fact that it will help another person. After all, yellow is also more prominent in heredity. Trying to change the natural color of enamel and dentin with improvisation is a purposeful and ineffective task.
Mistake number 3. Use of hazardous substances that destroy enamel
People do not quite understand how and why yellow becomes; people come up with many ways to deal with it. Moreover, without thinking about whether it is possible to whiten your teeth at home in principle. Given that it is possible to “eliminate” ingrained dirt, it is enough to make an effort and use the “miracle cure”. But at best, the experiment is disappointing. In the worst case, the situation worsens. Along with preserved jaundice, allergies and caries that have been significantly overcome are already frustrating.
What are the spinning methods they manage to use in the hope of actually whitening teeth at home?
- Soda or salt … have abrasive properties that ordinary people rely on. To remove the “dirt”, such substances are poured on the brush and rubbed on the teeth mercilessly, rubbing them in the hope of seeing how a smile glitters in the sun. Sometimes soda or salt is simply applied to gauze by wrapping a finger around it. But the essence of the procedure is the same. Increasingly, table salt and soda are represented by rather large crystals. They instinctively leave microscopic damage to the glaze. As a result, the skin becomes thinner. Pathogenic microflora settles in the pits formed by the crystals. Its waste materials contribute to the rapid formation of plaque. The enamel becomes thinner and… the teeth turn yellow! At the same time, their condition worsens and the risk of rapid tooth decay increases.
- Activated carbon … Black tablets are ground into a powder which is then used to brush the teeth in the hope of whitening. This method has its roots in the distant past. Our ancestors actually started cleaning from wood ashes. Above all, however, they had no other choice. And of course, they acted according to the same logic as city dwellers, not quite understanding the structure of the teeth, the reasons for the appearance of yellow. Trying to whiten your teeth with activated charcoal at home can cause as much damage as using baking soda and salt. Coal particles are hard enough to cause scratches. Furthermore, the above process begins when increased sensitivity, the development of caries, becomes the result of home bleaching.
Such abrasives will only help to remove the plaque. However, they will cause damage but the consequences will damage the glaze.
Some more taste buds from the folks, to answer the question of how to actually whiten teeth at home, for some reason recommend tea tree oil. But dentists answer unanimously that it will not affect the shade of the enamel in any way. Such a cure is actually good for the oral cavity. It can be used to strengthen the gums, as the active ingredients tone the tissue and relieve inflammation. As such, there is no harm from theologians, but it is completely inactive during bleaching.
Mistake # 4. Using Ineffective and Harmful Methods
In order to effectively whiten teeth at home without harm, there is little understanding of the causes of discoloration. Despite understanding what the yellow looks like, it’s already a little easier: there’s an understanding of where to go. For example, if the shadow is disappointing due to many years of smoking, it is clear that it is necessary to remove particles of nicotine and other substances that have eaten into the teeth. The same goes for wine and coffee lovers, strong tea, and carbonated drinks.
When looking for how you can whiten your teeth at home, if they have changed color from nicotine or pigments, they rely mainly on hydrogen peroxide, lemon juice, and strawberries. And they are busy for a long time, tormenting themselves for months together. But at the same time, the desired results have not been achieved.
Why such methods do not work and why they are dangerous:
- Hydrogen peroxide… This substance can actually whiten teeth. It is not without reason that it is included in the composition of professional products used in dentistry. Its molecules penetrate deep into the enamel and have a direct effect on the dentin. Oxygen release oxidizes tissues that have had time to stain. So the dentin glows. But why can you not whiten your teeth at home with peroxide? For the simple reason, that regular liquid from a pharmacy used as a disinfectant is “sick”. This is a 6-8% solution but the result requires 40% concentrate, no less. Unfortunately, independent attempts to deliver a stunning smile are burned on the mucous membranes, thinning the enamel and increasing the sensitivity of the teeth. Not all recipes with such a component are recommended. The damage of toothpaste at home will be real, but the effect is almost imperceptible.
- Citric acid… It is used both in powder form and in the form of freshly squeezed juice. But in both the first and second cases, this teeth whitening cannot be called effective at home. They brush their teeth with powder instead of toothpaste and see if the enamel starts to shine like new. Alas, this will not happen. This acid attack is too weak while acid particles in the form of granules cause significant damage to the skin. This causes scratches on the glaze. Disease-causing microorganisms settle in them. As a result, plaque, and even tartar, forms very quickly. In addition, the acid, almost without affecting the pigment from which the teeth turned yellow, also corrodes the enamel. It thins, allergies occur and there is a greater risk of developing caries. Fresh lemon juice will not scratch the surface. But at the same time, it also corrodes the glaze, if it is bright it is almost invisible.
- Strawberries… Berries contain fruit acids, on which the effects of people rely. Some dentists, if they recommend teeth whitening at home, then this is exactly it – a vitamin. Admittedly, they do not really rely on the efficiency of the berries. However, if they contained acids in such a concentration that they penetrated the enamel into the dentin and lightened it, we could hardly enjoy such gifts of nature: they would literally eat away more delicate tissues, starting with the mucous membranes. The content of such substances in scarlet fruit is minimal. So if it seems that after a month of rubbing the surface with strawberry mass, the teeth have turned white, then this is most likely a placebo effect. Some craftsmen, however, consider kneading strawberries in flour and then adding soda. How to whiten your teeth according to such a simple recipe at home: brush the glaze to shine and dream of a Hollywood smile. Only here is the problem: it is almost the same as bleaching teeth with baking soda at home. Abrasives will scratch the surface and acids will also corrode the glaze. So, very serious dental problems will soon follow. By the way, do not forget about the likelihood of strawberry allergies!
Mistake # 5. Unsubstantiated hopes for dental products at home
Modern dentistry has an extensive arsenal of teeth whitening technology. In addition, doctors even offer some tools for independent work with a smile on their faces. After reading reviews on how to whiten teeth at home, you can find different answers about such devices. Some are very happy. Others are unhappy.
In fact, this is not surprising. However, the condition of the teeth is different for everyone. The reasons for the darkening of the glaze are also different. So for some a home, dental hygiene products are what they need. But for someone to use them is completely useless.
How can you whiten your teeth at home, if you turn to special dental products, and what is the heart:
- Whitening paste … They mainly contain abrasives, but there are also products with the addition of urea peroxide or hydrogen peroxide in another form. Doctors frankly say that such combinations cannot deal with pigmentation. Abrasives work first. They have a slight lightning effect: only abrasives remove the entire plaque well. The surface will be clean and smooth, reflecting light better – this is the whole secret of a sparkling renewed smile. As for peroxide, toothpaste will not save you if the enamel and dentin are stained and you want to find out how you can quickly whiten your teeth at home. In such products, which are used uncontrollably, without medical supervision, the content of corrosive substances is completely insignificant.
- Files and Labels … They work due to their hydrogen peroxide content. After reading reviews about teeth whitening at home with such devices, you should also not rush to buy them at the pharmacy, where they are sold. The fact is that the pens contain an innocent amount of peroxide. However, it must be acknowledged that such a concentration is still sufficient to penetrate the dentin. Therefore, insignificant effects emerge from the application. The maximum you can count on is losing 1-2 tones. By the way, doctors advise using such devices to maintain the beauty of the smile after whitening in the room. But it is better not to rely on the fact that the glaze can be returned to the hardcore smoker with this method.
- Home whitening system… This is a dental product based on the use of a special whitening gel and mouth guard. Here he is called the most effective of all ways for you to exercise yourself. This is the best answer to the question of how to whiten yellow teeth at home. But the method is naturally the most expensive. It requires a visit to a doctor who will create a custom mouth guard. You also need to buy the same gel that will whiten the material. The active substance enters the dentin and illuminates the teeth. Admittedly, this is not a bad thing. As a gel with a lower concentration of peroxide is available for home use, it can be described in a maximum of 4-10 tones. And for this, you have to go through a whole process. So do not rely too much on great reviews on how to whiten teeth at home in snow-white. At the dentist’s office, the desired color could be achieved much faster. But any unnecessary method worsens the condition of the glaze and thins it insignificantly. Therefore, doctors usually recommend home systems as well as whitening in the office to complete and trust the result.
It is best to see a doctor before brushing your teeth with charcoal or experimenting with other methods. The specialist will find out the cause of jaundice as accurately as possible and only then will he choose the most suitable and effective method of relief, if it is really necessary and convenient.