Marshmallow composition and useful properties. What are the contraindications to eating side dishes? How is marshmallow eaten and what recipes can be implemented in the kitchen at home?
A marshmallow is a type of marshmallow that looks and tastes like candy and marshmallows at the same time. The natural color of the party is white, but manufacturers often paint products in all the colors of the rainbow using natural or artificial colors. It can be eaten in its original form or added to various culinary dishes (desserts, salads, drinks).
Table of Contents
Composition and calorie content of marshmallow
Standard ingredients for marshmallows are gelatin, starch, glucose, flavoring, and sugar (often replaced by corn syrup). The preparation of the dessert is rather simple: the ingredients listed combine for a long time until they become foam.
The caloric content of a marshmallow per 100 g is 318 kcal, of which:
- Protein – 1.8 g;
- Fat – 0.2 g;
- Carbohydrates – 81, 3 g;
- Water – 16.4 g;
- Inorganic substances – 0.3 g.
Vitamins per 100 g of the product:
- Thiamine – 0, 001 mg;
- Riboflavin – 0.001 mg;
- Nicotinic acid – 0.078 mg;
- Pantothenic acid – 0.005 mg;
- Vitamin B6 – 0.003 mg;
- Folate – 1 microgram;
- Choline – 0.1 mg.
- Minerals in 100 g marshmallow:
- Calcium, Ca – 3 mg;
- Iron, Fe – 0.23 mg;
- Magnesium, Mg – 2 mg;
- Phosphorus, P – 8 mg;
- Potassium, K – 5 mg;
- Sodium, Na – 80 mg;
- Zinc, Zn – 0.04 mg;
- Copper, Cu – 0.097 mg;
- Manganese, Mn – 0, 008 mg;
- Selenium, Se – 1.7 micrograms.
- Fatty acids per 100 g of product:
- Saturated – 0.056 g;
- Monounsaturated – 0.08 g;
- Polyunsaturated – 0, 047 g.
Amino acids in 100 g of marshmallow:
- Threonine – 0.035 g;
- Isolucine – 0, 028 g;
- Leucine – 0.066 g;
- Lysine – 0.077 g;
- Methionine – 0.015 g;
- Cystine – 0.002 g;
- Phenylalanine – 0.042 g;
- Tyrosine – 0.01 g;
- Valine – 0.05 g;
- Arginine – 0.17 g;
- Histidine – 0.017 g;
- Alanine – 0.18 g;
- Aspartic acid – 0, 121 g;
- Glutamic acid – 0, 208 g;
- Glycine – 0.416 g;
- Proline – 0.275 g;
- Serine – 0, 061
Interesting! In the United States, marshmallows are usually fried over a fire. After such preparation, the delicacy will be baked on the surface and almost liquid on the inside.
Useful properties of marshmallows
Experts advise anyone who works hard, both physically and mentally, to eat marshmallows. It is often included in the diet of athletes and people who cannot gain weight for long.
You can eat a limited amount of sweets for children under 3 years. In this case, it is a marshmallow that comes to the aid of parents and a sweet little tooth. Pediatricians and nutritionists believe that this product is absolutely safe and beneficial for healthy people and children; it increases the individual’s concentration and helps to maximize his mental activity.
Key benefits of marshmallows:
- It quickly saturates the body with energy, as it contains a lot of simple carbohydrates, so it is suitable for snacks during working hours when it is not possible to get a full lunch.
- It is involved in the restoration of cartilage and joints – this process is provided by gelatin, which is quite abundant in marshmallows. Therefore, sweetness is recommended to please a person with a fracture, breakdown or bone marrow.
- Strengthens nails and hair thanks to collagen.
- Strengthens the heart, maximizes the work of the central nervous system and the internal organs of man – delicacies contain a lot of fats and useful minerals that heal the body, increase mood and help to eliminate depression.
- Optimizes the function of the thyroid gland, and reduces the likelihood of malignant tumors developing in the body. Not all types of marshmallows have this property, but only those that contain agar-agar. The agar-agar product is rich in chemical elements such as selenium and iodine, which have a beneficial effect on the thyroid gland and other human internal organs.
- It removes toxins and toxins from the body and rejuvenates and tones – provided the composition contains blackcurrant, rich in natural pectin.
Be careful! Many unscrupulous manufacturers add artificial thickeners, emulsions, and other substances that are harmful to the human body in rubber. When buying marshmallows at the supermarket, read the ingredients on the label carefully. Nutritionists recommend buying the delicacy in small specialty stores where all products are processed by hand.
Contraindications and harm of marshmallow
The product contains a lot of sugar, and fast carbohydrates, which are delivered immediately to the body and consumed almost no of it. Therefore, anyone who is overweight or diabetic should refuse to chew marshmallows.
Scientifically proven harm of marshmallows for people with pancreatic disease or impaired carbohydrate metabolism.
Another reason to stop eating chewy treats is allergies. Allergic reactions can be caused not only by the standard ingredients of the product but also by various flavors that manufacturers use as an option – coconut, chocolate, etc. In some cases, people with individual intolerance to marshmallows can eat sweets, but very rarely and in limited quantities.
How to cook marshmallows?
Curious about how to make marshmallows in your kitchen?
To make these vulnerabilities fast and effective, follow a simple action algorithm:
- Soak 25 g of gelatin in 0.5 tbsp. water for 40 minutes.
- Prepare the syrup: heat 155 ml of water and dissolve 350 g of granulated sugar in it, bring the syrup to a boil and add 2/3 teaspoon of it. citric acid, cook the mass formed in a pot with a thick bottom under a closed lid for 45 minutes. Do not be surprised when you notice that ready-made syrup is rare – this is provided in the recipe.
- Cool the syrup slightly and add 1/4 tbsp. l. soda dissolved in 1 tbsp. l. water.
- Heat the gelatin, which has already increased in volume during this time, but in no case boil it! Let it cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine 400 g of sugar, 250 ml of water at room temperature, and 1/4 teaspoon in a separate bowl. salt and half of the prepared syrup.
- Bring to the boil and boil for 8 minutes. Stir a little in the mass until it boils.
- Return to the gelatin. Start by beating it at increasing speed, without stopping the mixer, pour the boiled syrup into the gelatin. Beat the resulting mass for 15 minutes until it increases in volume.
- The marshmallow blank can now be poured into the coagulum. Do not forget that the dish should be covered with foil or baking paper.
- After the marshmallow is given (this will take at least 6 hours) you can cut it into cubes. Be prepared for the marshmallow mass not to solidify completely and stick a little to the knife. Sprinkle with starch to facilitate slicing. Dip sliced sweets in a mixture of starch and icing sugar (make a mixture at a rate of 1: 1). Marshmallow is ready, good taste!
There are many other recipes for marshmallows with colors and flavors. However, the recipe described above is considered the simplest and fastest.
Marshmallow food and drink recipes
Three Easy Recipes for Sweet Foods Using Gummy Marshmallows:
- Giraffe Cake … Use a blender to chop and mix 300 g of cookies and 100 g of melted butter. Place the dough formed in a baking tin with a high side and seal. Bake the crust for no more than 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat 3/4 tbsp. Cream and the same amount of milk. Remove the milk-cream mixture from the heat without boiling and dissolve 300 g of milk chocolate and a pinch of vanilla in it. Beat 2 chicken eggs and add milk and chocolate. Spread the resulting mass over the already prepared cake and place it in the oven for 20 minutes. Cool the finished cake and place the marshmallow cut in half with scissors on. Try to lay it so that the composition resembles a pattern on the body of a giraffe. Put the finished cake in the oven for 1-2 minutes so that it browns and gets a brownish tint. It is better to serve the dessert cold.
- American delicacies … A multi-layered dessert is prepared deep enough to bake. Crush 200 g of sponge cake by pressing it and place the mixture formed on the bottom of the mold. Spread the chocolate (100 g) on top of the cakes. The finishing layer will be marshmallows (200 g). Bake the dessert in the oven for about 6 minutes, the treat will be ready when the marshmallow has a golden crust.
- Marshmallow mastic for cake … Pour 200 g of chewing mousse with 2 tablespoons of water and cover with a lid. Put it in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. Pour 200 g of icing sugar into the resulting mass and mix thoroughly. If you feel uncomfortable doing this with a spoon, use your hands. The void for the mastic should be viscous, not stick to the hands and resemble plasticine accordingly. Divide the workpiece into several pieces and roll them into balls. Refrigerate the mast for 40 minutes. Sprinkle the ball with icing sugar and roll them out as thin as possible. Such layers can be applied to the cake with a pattern. If individual plates need to be held together, simply moisten them with water and they will soon come together. It is not advisable to put the puree on the cream.
Two easy recipes for marshmallow drinks for the whole family:
- Hot chocolate … Mix 2 tsp. cornstarch with 0.5 tbsp. milk. In a separate bowl, heat, but do not boil 3, 5 tbsp. milk. Remove the milk from the heat and dissolve 200 g of dark chocolate, 3 tbsp. l. honey, a pinch of vanilla and salt, 2 tsp. cornstarch. Stir the mixture thoroughly and bring to a boil. Pour into a cup and garnish with whipped cream and marshmallows.
- Milkshake … Put a pot on low heat with the following mixture of ingredients: 2 tbsp. milk, a pinch of cinnamon, 1 tbsp. l. cocoa powder and 15 pieces of chewing gum mallow. Heat the milk until the marshmallow is dissolved. Try not to boil the milk while doing this. Serve the finished cocktail chilled.
Interesting facts about marshmallows
The recipe for airy delicacies for industrial production was developed relatively recently: for the first time, the American company “Kraft” started producing marshmallows in 1950.
However, the story of this unusual marshmallow began much earlier. This is evidenced by the origin of the name “marshmallow”: in English translation, it means “marshmallow”, as marshmallow was formerly called. In ancient Egypt, marshmallows were made from the juice of marshmallows, bee honey, and nuts. Inconsistency and appearance overall, the sweetness from Egypt looked more like candy than marshmallows.
A dessert similar to modern marshmallows was made in France in the 19th century. Over the years, the original recipe for sweets was changed without approval, instead of marshmallows, gelatin and starch were used, but the name of the dessert remained unchanged.
Marshmallow is a nutritious and healthy candy that is safe to give even to children under 3 years of age. To experience all the positive qualities of entertainment, it is important to buy a natural product that does not contain harmful chemical additives.