Psychology of choosing clothes; what does a person’s style can say? What leads people to choose the color and material of the objects? Do we describe in this article how the psychology of choosing clothes?
The psychology of choosing clothes is one of the ways to find out what is in our souls and thoughts and also to explain why we are still “met by our clothes.” The costume choice is closely related to what we see, feel, dream about, and fear. Therefore, the effect of our wardrobe can be different: repulsive, attractive, or disguised.
Table of Contents
What does clothing style say?
Often the choice of clothing is based on the inner state of a person; that is, it happens unconsciously. According to the psychology of choosing clothes style, factors such as mood, age (or its feeling), economic factors, personal preferences, or desire to imitate have formed. And more indicative in this sense is the clothing style “outside the dress code” in an informal setting.
Loving the classics is, first and foremost, an exercise with a generally skeptical attitude towards life. Such a person is restrained in displaying emotions, observes etiquette, respects traditions, and strives to set clear goals.
He is so confident in himself that he does not see the need to prove his worth to anyone, especially with the help of clothes. Therefore, she bases her choice on purely practical goals – comfort, accuracy, moderation, and ease of use.
According to psychologists, a person who tries to dress festively, even without a festive occasion, is full of contradictions. The combination of contrasting colors (black, white, red) in clothes reflects the polarity of his emotions – idealism and negativity, indecision and courage, relaxation and excitement.
He has his idea of the world, often a fantasy, on which he bases his rules of life and demands on others. Because of this, it is tough to agree with people as not everyone meets his exaggerated claims. And hard to walk through the collapse of their illusion.
Staunch conservatives with pretensions prefer to dress for business. They are staples, and their actions are thought out and verified, including when choosing clothes. Therefore, they like practical, discreet, neat things.
Fashion trends and extravagant trends do not bother them at all. They generally don’t care, as restraint reigns in emotion. They do not reveal themselves to others because they do not believe that anyone is willing or able to understand, accept and appreciate their inner world.
People choose the sports trend in clothing with a playful attitude. And not necessarily athletes or individuals who maintain a healthy lifestyle. Sports style is often preferred by energetic, enterprising individuals who can multitask. Therefore, the choice here is obvious: things should not interfere with this activity, which means they should be comfortable and practical and not hinder movement.
Let’s turn to the psychology of men’s clothing. The choice for sports is given by people “in the beginning,” ready at any time to reach the desired peak or prove their superiority to an opponent (competitor). Recently, personalities with incomes well above the average, including well-known media personalities, have begun to join the masses of lovers of the sport’s image in clothing.
The sexy dress style is meant to attract attention to themselves. An open display of their body respect is most often chosen by people who want to establish (or diversify) their private life.
Among the lovers of straightforward clothing styles, there are also representatives of both sexes who claim that they enjoy the reaction of the opposite sex. In any case, such individuals choose visual “attack” methods because they cannot or do not believe in their ability to attract attention in other ways.
Fashion sets trends and main trends in style for a given period but does not require absolute compliance. However, some people go out of their way to be “in fashion” anytime, anywhere. They are even called “fashion victims.”
They argue that such a passionate desire to create an image that corresponds to the latest fashion is explained by the need to stand out from the crowd. It’s hiding cynicism, low self-esteem, and dependence on someone else’s opinion under a bright and trendy mask.
Most often, the choice of natural materials, Provence colors, embroidery, lace, and superficial cuts is given by people who are either by nature focused on nature and natural beauty or are already tired of artificial modernity with imposed stereotypes.
Comfortable shoes without heels, straw hats, simple accessories, and minimal cosmetics are designed to show that their owner does not care about status and trends – he cares about nature and his soul.
The predominance of clothes with ethnic colors from other countries in the wardrobe can mean that their owner does not want to endure gray everyday life; he wants to stand out and prove his exclusivity and superiority. A riot of Chinese, Indian, Arabic, and other oriental motifs in clothing often shows a person’s desire to escape (at least mentally) into a brighter and more exotic world, into a fictional adventure.
It is a kind of indicator of a tendency to adventure. This clothing style can also be used by people who accept this or that culture, the philosophy of another country, which reflects this in their clothing.
Pretentious clothes, too bright or depressing images, incompatible combinations – all this, according to the principles of the psychology of choosing dresses, is explained by the desire to be noticed by others. Outrageous behavior and things today are becoming the leading lifestyle of many famous personalities who want to be popular at any cost.
The dictionary even introduced the term “freak,” meaning a person with a bright, extravagant appearance and the same tact. However, if there are people who choose this style of clothing intentionally, there are those who do it unconsciously. They combine the incompatible, being quite sure that it is beautiful and stylish.
The gray mouse style also has its army of followers. They also use clothes with a specific intention – not to stand out, but on the contrary, to hide, dissolve in the crowd, and become invisible. Therefore, they choose things of sensitive colors (gray, brown, black, and their shades) and conservative cuts, hiding their complexes behind them – insecurity, common sense, and lack of initiative.
Important! Clothing style is, in most cases, a variable part of the image. It can change both throughout life and even during the day.
The psychology of choosing clothes color
The color scheme of the equipment is no less informative than our gestures, facial expressions, and other visual cues. It reflects our mood, attitude, sense of harmony, and style. Moreover, experts in the psychology of color in clothes directly relate to a person’s personality.
Consider the primary colors in clothes and their meaning:
- White color … evokes a relationship with freshness, purity, lightness, and solemnity. Color is a mood suitable for all ages. It is chosen by people who are sincere, open, appropriate, and also neat since white things require careful dressing and careful care. They can also use white snow clothes for individuals who want to create an impeccable image for themselves to achieve specific goals.
- Red color … The color of love, energy, fire, and strength. It strengthens, gives power, and improves stamina. Attracts attention, boosts self-confidence, and increases joy in life. Therefore, red people are often proactive, passionate, brave, energetic, and emotional. They are attracted to adventure, curiosity, and eventful life.
- Black color … Color is a mystery, color is a mask. It helps hide physical disabilities, emotions, feelings, and thoughts. It is associated with seriousness, elegance, restraint, and mystery. It is chosen by people who protect their inner world and prove their intentions carefully to others, independent and self-sufficient. They have a good heart and a generous soul, are patient, and quickly adapt to new situations. Still, they can be stubborn and inflexible. Black clothing is also chosen for rebels, individuals with depression, pessimism, or a negative outlook on life.
- Gray color … Color of balance, neutrality, calmness, safety. Therefore, it is considered an ideal choice for business wear. However, you can also find it outside offices and classrooms. Often, such costume colors are chosen by people with a sad characters, calm, balanced, and do not seek to draw attention to themselves. Many individuals use it as a background to create a coordinated look with other richer colors. Among them is a particular class (“gray cardinals”) who, with the help of fading and conspicuousness, hide their true motives and intentions, manipulations, and games with fading and conspicuousness.
- Blue color … The melody of the sky, eternity, wisdom, calm, and serenity. It represents seriousness and reliability, calms, and tones up. Psychologists believe that blue clothes are chosen by people who need harmony, fidelity, stability, and peace. They are honest, serious, purposeful, and at the same time, shy and romantic. If a person deliberately rejects such coloring, he is in stress, tension, and protest.
- Green color … Color of hardness, constancy, perseverance, constancy. Its dark colors represent conservatism, rigidity, light – youth, and hope. People who give him priority are persistent, critical, precise, and able to sacrifice. Therefore, if we turn to the psychology of women’s clothing, the fair sex in green can be described as good mothers and lovely homemakers. But from the outside, the tact and prudence of lovers of green colors in clothes can create an impression of their rationality and coldness.
- Yellow … A symbol of light, lightness, joy, and optimism. People in yellow are always open to communication and new information, optimistic, happy, and sometimes even eccentric. They love to travel and have fun, need change, and can’t stand boredom. However, they are not decisive and changeable.
- Brown color … Color of wisdom, calmness, comfort, security. It is a warm, soft color that gives a sense of peace and comfort. He advises himself and promotes communication. Therefore, choosing brown clothes can indicate that a person is looking for his comfort zone, trying to overcome depression, or finding a way out of a conflict. It is also chosen by connoisseurs of home comfort, tradition, and family.
- Pink color … Symbol of dreaminess, modesty, romance. He is chosen for his emotional and compassionate nature. They are tuned to a wave of misery, kindness, and peace. Often these are carefree, naive, easygoing people who live in their fairy world. At the same time, being pink can mean childishness, selfishness, and frivolity.
- Orange color … Color of energy, strength, success, warmth, prosperity. It gives a feeling of well-being, warmth, joy, and charges with positivity and optimism. People who prefer orange in their clothes love the sun, happy company, and delicious food. They are sweet, quick with themselves, ambitious, and calculating. They are emotionally unstable and jealous.
- Purple … is a symbol of originality, magic, and fantasy. It promotes the expansion of creativity and is associated with royal majesty and respect. Purple lovers believe in magic and sorcery and love to dream and imagine.
The prevalence of pastel colors in the wardrobe speaks of openness, romance, and feeling. Bright colors in clothes are preferred by people with unique energy – active, contradictory. Dark and saturated indicates a solid, clear position in life, the desire for stability.
The role of material in the Psychology of choosing clothes
The material a person chooses clothes from can also say much about its owner.
People who love jeans have some ambivalence and contradictions: they do not want to leave the comfort of familiar, familiar things, but at the same time, they like everything new and original. Of course, many people are attracted to practical jeans in terms of wear and care and their compatibility with other materials and accessories.
Knitted clothes are liked by sensitive, emotional people who appreciate comfort and need warmth and communication. They are democratic and friendly. In addition, knitted clothes are a pleasant touch, comfortable, practical, and fit well with the figure. Therefore they are present in the wardrobe of almost everyone from birth.
Leather clothing attracts active, purposeful people. She is chosen by a shocking, aggressive protest against the stereotypes of men, as well as many representatives of subcultures.
Suede clothing is not as aggressive as leather clothing. She is loved by people who value stability, prestige, and status.
Choosing clothes made of excellent materials suggests that a person seeks luxury and high status and strongly focuses on his appearance and his effect on others.
The color of our clothes can betray all our secrets – moods, dreams, desires, intentions, and fears. He can also cheer, give confidence and win. That’s why it’s essential to be able to use it to your advantage.