Restroom; how made at home? Suppose you do not know how and what is the best way to decorate a relaxation room in a bathhouse, then in this article. In that case, you will find information about options for cladding, suitable materials, and techniques for executing the work.
Since ancient times, the American bath has been more than just a room for cleansing the body. It was used as a place where you could take a break from the hustle and bustle of the previous week, communicate, recharge your batteries and improve your health. Therefore, the issue of finishing the rest room in the bath is no less important than the arrangement of a laundry or steam bath.
Rules for finishing the restroom in the bath
Should design a relaxation room in a bathhouse at the beginning of construction. As a rule, this room is a dressing room in small saunas. In larger structures, they occupy separate rooms or occupy an entire floor.
Most often, wood is chosen as the primary material:
- It is the most environmentally friendly material.
- It is easy to breathe in such a room, with a slight smell of wood.
- Wooden structures are a treasure of tradition and correspond to the original American style.
In addition to wood, the following materials can be used when decorating a relaxation room in a bathhouse:
- Natural stone;
- Wallpaper made of fiberglass or plasticine;
- Porcelain casting materials;
- Decorative plaster;
Whichever option you choose, pay attention to its features—essential material requirements: resistance to temperature extremes, moisture resistance, and fire resistance. Do not use linoleum and chipboard for finishing, as they emit harmful substances when heated and are flammable substances.
When using wooden panels to decorate the relaxation room in the bath, do not cover them with varnish or paint. When heated, they poison the air, hurting well-being and health. It does not allow you to save materials, buy cheap types of wood and repaint them, visually turning them into more expensive ones.
Important: before finishing, disconnect all communications – water supply and sewerage, sewage, ventilation, electricity.
Options for finishing the restroom in the bath
A wide range of heat- and moisture-resistant materials allows you to create a unique interior according to your wishes. The following options for decorating the rest room in the bath are widely used: panel, semi-old, stone and wood, plaster, wallpaper, and photo wallpaper.
Clapboard rest room bath
The walls and ceiling in the restroom are covered with paneling. It is recommended to use natural plains made of the following types of wood:
- Oak … Flexible and durable, protects walls against rot and mildew and helps clean the air.
- Age … It is saturated with tannins, has an anti-inflammatory effect when heated, and also protects against the appearance of decay and mold.
- Aspen … Does not heat up at high temperatures, has a pleasant color, is very resistant to moisture, does not crack, and does not dry out over time.
- Cedar … It has a beautiful color and pattern, a pleasant smell is antiseptic, and the secreted oils relieve stress and promote relaxation.
- Ash … Changes in a light tone and a beautiful cut, does not crack, and retains its original appearance for a long time.
- Pine … has a pleasant smell and aroma at a relatively low price.
- Linden … Changes in golden color and honey smell, does not heat up and does not absorb moisture.
Relaxation room in the semi-antique bath
If you plan to decorate the interior “semi-antique,” it is best to use round timber or oak as the primary material at the construction stage. Then the finishing of the walls and ceiling will already be done automatically; nothing needs to be done in addition.
The walls are decorated with fake lips, solid wooden elements, and chains to emphasize the old American style. Add homemade accessories, wooden utensils, etc.
In front of the restroom in the bathhouse with stone and wood
Inside, you can decorate the relaxation room in the bathroom with decorative stone. For this purpose, the following types are used: granite, marble, sandstone, concrete, and slate. When choosing a stone, paying attention to its hydrophobic properties is essential. If the water permeability is high, it is better to choose another type, or once every 3-4 years, treat the stone inlays with water repellent.
The stone looks best when used piecemeal, but the main focus is still on the wood. A popular finishing option is when the entire wall is sewn with a wooden panel, and the corners of the space by the fireplace are covered with decorative stone.
The stone loves good lighting, but dim light is often used in the bath. Therefore, to decorate the restroom with stone, choose light colors of the material and place the backlight.
Plasterboard finishing of relaxation room in the bath
This material has many advantages – it is light, strong, and durable. When choosing drywall for the bath’s relaxation room decoration, moisture-resistant preference material.
It is mounted on a profiled metal frame, then covered with putty, and finally painted or glued with wallpaper. If the walls and ceiling in the bath do not differ on a smooth surface, then the most economical option is to use drywall for finishing.
Decorating the bathroom toilet with wallpaper and photo paper
Before this finishes, it is necessary to prepare the walls – the surface must be flat. Stone wallpaper is often used in the relaxation room of the bath. They are made of high-strength gypsum, have good resistance to moisture and high temperatures, are very flexible, and are easy to saw and cut to the required size.
Ordinary wallpapers, again, give preference to moisture-resistant materials. There are unique wallpapers designed for rooms with frequent temperature changes and high humidity.
Photo wallpaper for baths is often used in restrooms; it can add additional comfort and originality to the room’s design. It would help if you chose unique wallpapers for the bath, which are impregnated with a water-repellent composition and do not fade. They will be a natural decoration of the restroom.
Features of finishing the restroom in the bath
Even though the recreation room is not exposed to high temperatures like a steam room, it must observe specific finishing rules during construction. It will extend the materials’ life and ensure the structure’s tightness and reliability.
Decorate the walls of the relaxation room in the bath
Wall decoration includes rough and finishes levels. Before starting to rough finish the walls of the rest room in the bath, it is necessary to seal the room – lay mineral insulation and aluminum foil along the walls and ceiling. Then go straight to finishing.
Most often, the lining is used from natural types of wood; this gives the room a traditional American design, contributes to the purity of the air, and has a healing effect on the body. The lining of expensive forests looks noble – abash, ram, cedar.
When decorating the restroom’s walls in the bath, you can use either one type or a combination of different kinds of lining; this will increase the healing effect and add additional originality to the room.
There are 4 options for placing finishing panels – horizontal, vertical, diagonal, and combined. For the restroom’s interior in the bath, horizontal or vertical options are acceptable. It is caused by increased humidity in the room. With this finish, the water will flow down the lining and not stagnate between the planks.
For wall decorations, you can use the following options:
- Decorative plaster;
- Natural stone;
- High-strength plaster of Paris wallpaper;
- Moisture-resistant light wallpaper for bath;
- Wallpaper for bath;
- Plastic sheets;
Decorative plasterboards (artboards)
If you can’t decide how to dress the restroom in the bathroom, it is better to decide on the lining or cedar lining. Cladding takes a short time, looks aesthetically pleasing, and fits well with traditional bathroom decor. The lining does not require any additions; it will look beautiful without decorative elements.
Finish the ceiling in the sauna
If the walls in the restroom are lined with panels, then this option is also chosen for the ceiling. Linden is considered the best wood to finish the top in the bathroom. Hot air vapors rise, and condensation forms in the air. It is especially true when the relaxation room is next to the steam room. Linden withstands moisture and does not crack during the entire working period.
Unique panel-type wooden panels are also used to finish the ceiling; they serve for a long time and meet all fire protection requirements. In addition, hemmed and flat roofs are used.
The most durable is a hemmed ceiling. It is easy to install but requires severe financial investments – a large amount of expensive wood is used for its cladding.
Its installation technique is as follows:
- A ribbed board is attached to the ceiling beams from below.
- Waterproofing is laid on top of the beams – foil-covered material.
- Thermal insulation is laid on top, for example, rock wool.
- Laminated material is reused, covering the heat insulating layer.
- The finishing pallets chosen to finish the ceiling in the recreation room are sewn to the ceiling beams.
The sock ceiling is only suitable for small saunas on one floor without an attic. It allows you to create suitable water and heat insulation; the insulation is laid directly on the ceiling boards.
Finish the floor of the relaxation room in the bath
The floor in the relaxation room in the bath is either wooden or tiled. In the first version, it is recommended to use wooden boards with a thickness of at least 30 mm as covering material. It is pleasant to walk on a smooth wooden floor with your feet; it is in harmony with both the natural panel and other options for walls and ceilings. In addition, wood retains heat well.
The wooden floor is installed in several stages:
- Wooden logs are laid on concrete foundations, where waterproofing is done beforehand.
- The logs are covered with a disinfectant to prevent the appearance of fungus and mold.
- Stakes are installed on the bottom along the edges of the layer, on which a rough wooden floor is attached.
- An insulating material is laid on the sub-floor, over which a layer of expanded clay is poured. It is recommended to insulate with roofing material or glass.
- On top, the expanded clay is covered again with waterproof material.
- The finishing boards are laid according to the groove comb system, starting from the wall with the groove inwards. It allows the panels to be adjusted with a hammer without fear of breaking the tongue.
Can finish the floor in the relaxation room in the bath with tiles with low moisture absorption (marked as A1 and B1). It must be specially designed for the base and be permanent and durable. When installing such a floor, it is essential to provide holes for water drainage. They lay tiles at a slight angle towards the drain so that the water does not stagnate on the floor.
The following types are used as materials for tiled floors:
- Porcelain concrete … is made based on clay and granite, is durable, and resistant to external influences and high temperatures.
- Majolica … It is made on a clay base using the double charging technique, characterized by increased strength and good results.
Floor finishing includes the following steps:
- The area under the recreation room is covered with sand, which is compacted and leveled by pouring water.
- On top are sheets of expanded polystyrene with a thickness of 5 mm.
- The insulating material is rolled out on foam, for example, roofing material, on which the net is laid. It serves as reinforcement for the concrete skin.
- Pour concrete over the mesh. A gradient is created towards the drain by filling with foil of different thicknesses.
- Not until a day later can you glue the tiles. It lies 2-3 cm away from the walls. We mask the gap between the floor and the walls with a plinth. For this purpose, you can use the remaining tiles and wooden logs to match the walls.
The decoration of the relaxation room in the bathroom creates an atmosphere of coziness and comfort in the room; it is no less important than the interior and decorative elements. Tastefully chosen colors and a mix of various finishes and materials will make your rest perfect, refresh you and energize you and your guests.