Pumpkin jam is not only tasty but also a healthy delicacy that contains several vitamins and minerals. The exotic soft taste with the aromas of citrus fruits (if included in the recipe) will appeal to many sweet teeth. But including new dishes in the diet, you should study their composition and the correct recipe and cooking techniques. Violation of canning conditions will not allow you to enjoy pumpkin jam with orange or lemon. It may reduce the desire for cooking experiments.
Composition and calorie content of pumpkin jam. Functional properties and damage. Pumpkin jam recipes, interesting facts.
Composition and calorie content of pumpkin jam
As a fruit food, Pumpkin has a mild but not very bright taste. Therefore, pumpkin jam recipes, in addition to the caramelizing ingredient, contain other fragrance ingredients. Accordingly, the composition and energy value of the dish may vary depending on the additional ingredients.
The most popular are recipes with citrus fruits (lemon, orange). The average caloric content of such a dish is 140 kcal or 586 kJ.
Despite the moderate calorie content of the dessert, when calculating the diet, it should be borne in mind that the nutritional value of pumpkin jam with lemon or orange shifts towards carbohydrates.
BJU dessert per 100 g is:
- Protein – 0.7 g;
- Fat – 0.1 g;
- Carbohydrates – 32.7 g.
The caloric content of pumpkin jam is not the only important indicator because, during the preparation process, there are many valuable vitamins and minerals.
Vitamins per 100 g:
- Vitamin A – 147.8 micrograms;
- Beta-carotene – 0.887 mg;
- Thiamine (B1) – 0.033 mg;
- Riboflavin (B2) – 0.038 mg;
- Pantothenic acid (B5) – 0.257 mg;
- Pyridoxine (B6) – 0.082 mg;
- Folate (B9) – 8,676 micrograms;
- Ascorbic acid (C) – 10 mg;
- Alpha-tocopherol (E) – 0.253 mg;
- Vitamin H – 0.17 micrograms;
- Vitamin PP – 0, 4382 mg.
Minerals per 100 g:
- Potassium – 138.35 mg;
- Calcium – 21, 04 mg;
- Magnesium – 9.34 mg;
- Sodium – 4.83 mg;
- Phosphorus – 15.8 mg;
- Chlorine – 10.89 mg;
- Iron – 0.361 mg;
- Iodine – 0.77 micrograms;
- Cobalt – 0, 643 micrograms;
- Manganese – 0.027 mg;
- Molybdenum – 0.052 micrograms;
- Fluorine – 75, 97 micrograms;
- Zinc – 0.1561 mg.
The critical components of pumpkin jam are evidence of vitamin A, beta-carotene, and copper. The amount of elements per 100 g of the product reaches 15% of the daily intake. And even despite the relatively small content of such elements as vitamin H, sodium, chlorine, iodine, and molybdenum (up to 1%), their natural origin ensures perfect adaptation, which means maximum benefit from such consumption. Artificial analogs do not have similar properties of ideal transformation.
Note! The amount of vitamin C varies significantly according to the recipe and, in some cases, reaches 11-15% of daily consumption, which makes pumpkin jam for the winter an ideal addition to the balance of the daily diet.
Functional properties of pumpkin jam
Pumpkin is a classic autumn vegetable and is healthy when raw due to its essential components. After heat treatment, the volume composition of such nutrients decreases somewhat but is still at a reasonably high level.
It is noted that the systematic use of pumpkin jam with dried apricots or other additional components affects the following systems of the body:
- Nervous … Carotene (which in 100 g of the product is up to 15% of daily value) strengthens vision and actively forms mucous nerve fibers. In pumpkin jam with lemon, the recipe that can be the simplest, Carotene is 5 times more than in carrots, and starch and cholesterol are absent. Support of the nervous system with Carotene increases resistance to stressful situations.
- Immunity … Vitamin C has immunostimulatory and tonic properties. Thanks to unique heat treatment technology, pumpkin jam recipes with oranges or lemons allow you to store large amounts of ascorbic acid in the dish.
- Digestion … Even after chopping the Pumpkin well for jam through a meat grinder and heat treatment, up to 1.4 g of dietary fiber remains in the desert, which is 7% of the daily norm. Sufficient fiber stimulates the digestive tract.
- Cardiovascular system … The combination of potassium and magnesium in the product helps to remove excess fluid from the body and consequently reduces the stress on the blood vessels. In particular, potassium improves the conductivity of heart attacks. And if you cook pumpkin jam with dried apricots, the amount of potassium in the product increases significantly.
- Excretion … The system is stimulated due to its complex composition. By adsorbing metabolic products in the intestines, dietary fiber promotes the elimination of toxins from the body. Excess fluid is also removed.
It should understand that just a simple pumpkin jam is not enough to prepare a sensible and healthy menu. If you want sweets, choose this one – healthy and tasty. The best time to eat dessert is, of course, the winter-spring season. When a person suffers from a seasonal vitamin deficiency, the body needs support of the body.
In addition, pumpkin jam is suitable for:
- Normal digestion for constipation – fresh Pumpkin in large quantities has a noticeable laxative effect. In storage, this effect is present in a mild form.
- Improve performance during active mental exertion and strengthen the condition after exercise – it should provide recipes with additional content of vitamin C (pumpkin jam with apples, lemons, oranges).
- Reduce age-related changes – Pumpkin carotene promotes collagen production and eliminates skin weakness. And while it will not be possible to stop the aging process with just one product, systematic consumption of Carotene and related vitamins will help slow down such changes.
For those who decide to skip meat consumption, the benefits of pumpkin jam are also in the protein content. 100 g of the product can contain up to 1 g of protein; if pumpkin seeds are present in the recipe, this figure increases to 16 g.
Note! Technically, the Pumpkin bears the plant. However, when cooking decorative fruit, it is customary to use the term “vegetable.”
Contraindications and damage to pumpkin jam
Pumpkin jam is not the last on the list of healthy desserts. And this is not surprising because the unique composition of canned sweets is easily and quickly absorbed. However, pumpkin jam is also harmful, which all sweet lovers should know about.
Pumpkin cells contain protein and reserves that, in some cases, cause allergies. Interestingly, such proteins are resistant to the gastrointestinal tract’s acidic environment and thermal. Once in the intestines of people sensitive to propylene, they cause a corresponding reaction. In rare cases, anaphylaxis attacks were reported in addition to skin rashes and itching.
When you are wondering how to cook pumpkin jam, you should also not be fooled by the unusual benefits of the ingredient; jam is still a sweet preserve.
This product is not recommended:
- People suffering from urolithiasis;
- With gastrointestinal disorders (low acidity, acute gastrointestinal disorders);
- People with diabetes.
Pregnant women should use pumpkin jam with caution.
In addition to the main ingredient, it should not overlook that frozen, or fresh pumpkin jam contains other components that affect the human body. The recipes with oranges and lemons in combination are not suitable for people sensitive to ascorbic acid. Still, you should also pay attention to spices that can also be more sensitive.
Important! Pumpkin profiles have a cumulative effect. With an increase in this substance in the human intestine, allergic reactions can occur on pumpkins and other products (melons, citrus fruits, peaches, nectarines).
Pumpkin jam recipes
In most cases, pumpkin jam is recommended to be eaten “bite” with coffee or tea. The delicacy is served in rosettes or spreads directly on bars, toast, and rolls. Experienced chefs, however, recommend diversifying the table not only with a new recipe for how to make pumpkin jam but also with an exciting dose.
A large piece of pumpkin candy will decorate the dessert table. If you have a particular spoonful of pastries, you can form balls from the jam by putting them in the jelly or as a garnish for fruit salad.
Jam can also be used as a filling for butter cakes and pies. Additional cooking will not reduce the benefits of the pumpkin jam.
The best time to consume a sweet product is the first part of the day. With a proper diet, a small amount of sugar sweetness will not harm even with strict control of eating habits. And if we talk about seasonality, winter and early spring are the perfect time to taste. In some cases, fortified jam is stretched until May and then continued to fresh vegetables and fruits with no less nutritional and vitamin reserves.
The method of making pumpkin jam step by step:
- Choose ingredients and prepare them for sewing – rinse, cut.
- Prepare the recipe for syrup or jam.
- Sterilize cans and lids.
- Covers protection.
Before making pumpkin jam, you need to choose the right ingredients. For a recipe with caramelized vegetable pieces, you must select dense fruits with thin skin; you can pay attention to slightly unripe pumpkins. When choosing a product in the market, look at the stem; a suitable copy should be tight and stretchy. If the branch is rotten, look for another fruit. But ripe and slightly overripe fruits are ideal for the texture of jam. The color of the Pumpkin can vary from light green to rich orange, depending on the plant variety, stage of maturity, and collection.
Should also choose other components of the jam carefully. Oranges and lemons should be medium-sized with thin skin, free of damage or pressure sores.
After selecting the vegetables and fruits, they must be washed and dried. The Pumpkin is grown on the ground. The particles stay on the skin for a long time. If you ignore rinsing carefully, it may damage the taste of the jam.
Disinfection of cans at home is done both dry and wet. In the first case, glass containers are microwaved for 30 seconds or more on medium power. In the second, the jars are sterilized over steam. If you choose steam sterilization, dry the glass before pouring full jam so that excess moisture does not spoil the taste of the preserve. It is easiest to sterilize the lids in hot water. To do this, leave them in boiling water for a few minutes.
Pumpkin Jam Recipes:
- Classic … For 0.5 kg of peeled Pumpkin, you need 500 g of sugar and 150 ml of water. The vegetables are cut into small cubes during the preparation stage, and a syrup is made from water and sugar. It is considered ready when it flows in a thin, uniform stream from the wooden mixer. Only then can you add pieces of Pumpkin to the mass. The other cooking process depends on the density of the vegetables. Sultan, ready to pour, should be uniform and amber in color. When the mass acquires this color, it must be boiled for another 3 minutes and then poured into cans for another sewing. I can easily supplement the classic recipe with spices at will. For this, we add the appropriate modifier in the last 3 minutes of cooking. For example, pumpkin jam with ginger or vanilla sugar will taste significantly different from the traditional sweetness.
- With citrus … For one portion of the preparation, you need 1.5 kg of pumpkin pieces, 1 medium lemon and 1 orange, 1 kg of sugar. Cut citrus fruits into thin slices, but all the seeds are removed. The ingredients are carefully mixed in a pot and left overnight to release the orange, lemon, and pumpkin juice. The next day, the mixture must be brought to a boil and stirred for 5 minutes. Then the mass is removed from the fire and cooled. This cooking method is repeated two more times. The prepared jam is rolled into jars.
- With lemon and ginger … 1 kg of finely chopped ripe Pumpkin, pour 1 kg of sugar, and allow the mixture to lie overnight before the Pumpkin juice. The next day, grind 1 lemon and 1 ginger root in a blender and add to the pumpkin mixture. To get a light ginger taste, a small 3 cm long source is enough, and to make the pumpkin jam with lemon and ginger strong, choose the root 5-7 cm. Bring the sugar composition to a boil and then reduce the heat. Cook for another 40 minutes, stirring constantly. You can immediately roll the finished mass up or wipe it through a sieve to make a sweet puree.
- With apples … Such a recipe will require more time from you than a simple pumpkin jam with orange or lemon. Still, the original unique apple flavor will please you too. For 1 kg of Pumpkin, you need to take 1 kg of apples and only 5-6 tbsp. Tablespoons of sugar.Must cook Pumpkin and apple in separate pans. 3 tablespoons are added to the vegetables. Sugar and apples, depending on their acidity – 3-4 tbsp. The mixture with sugar must be boiled over low heat until the Pumpkin and apples are soft. Only then can you mix the two purees and whisk until smooth. This mixture is cooked for another 5-6 minutes, and the apple sauce is canned only then.
- In a multi-cooker … This recipe for pumpkin jam is interesting not only for its taste but also for its simple cooking technique. 0.5 kg of pumpkin pulp must be cut into slices and covered with 600 g of sugar. The mixture should be given for at least 6 hours for the Pumpkin to release its juice. After that, add 1 teaspoon of citric acid, mix everything well, and put a slow cooker on “cooking” mode for 1 hour. Stir the mixture regularly in the multi-cooker bowl. Syrup from such jam is transparent, and the pumpkin pieces are dense in texture.
As you can see, making pumpkin jams does not take much time. Still, the finished dish is obtained with an attractive, rich taste and moderate calorie content. After trying classic recipes, you can experiment with the composition, adding spices to taste, honey syrup, or other fruits to the preserve.
Note! Frozen Pumpkin will make the jam soft. If you have such a product, pick up a jam recipe.
Interesting facts about pumpkin jam
Found the oldest pumpkin seeds in the territory of modern Mexico. Their age is more than 7000 years. A nutritious and, at the same time, easy-to-grow plant quickly conquered Europe and Asia, and the fruits themselves began to be used not only for food but also for household purposes. So, in Asia, jugs, plates, and monkey traps were made of pumpkin skin.
The main techniques for cooking pumpkin have been boiling and baking for a long time—eating Fresh fruits from August to November (harvest time). In a cold place, the fruits are stored for several weeks, but pumpkin jam for the winter started relatively recently. It is recommended to keep such a dish for up to a year for unsweetened combinations and more than a year for recipes with a lot of sugar.
It should note that the sweetness of the Pumpkin itself also varies by variety. Dessert varieties are sweet and juicy, and ordinary Pumpkin is neutral in taste. It is the one that is actively used both for soups and side dishes and for making sweets. When preparing pumpkin jam, you can change the amount of sugar you like.
Pumpkin jam is an exciting and healthy dessert. Moderate calorie content and high availability of vitamins and minerals make delicacy the best choice among homemade products. At the same time, most recipes do not require a serious investment of time or complicated preparation methods from you. However, pumpkin jam also causes harm. Particular allergy sufferers or diabetics should not consume the product. Make sure you have no contraindications before trying a new dessert.