Laziness; how to overcome it? What is laziness and why does it arise, coping strategies? How to plan and organize your own time. Laziness is a psychological reluctance to perform any activity. It can be short-term or long-term, and you can monitor it regularly or continuously. In most cases, it manifests a person’s psychological state. Still, it can also indicate various diseases in the body.
Effects of laziness on life
Very often, symptoms of laziness contribute to the destruction of everyday life and become the cause of social adjustment. For an adult, laziness becomes a huge problem that interferes with work, providing for one’s family, and carrying out professional tasks.
Moving up the career ladder requires more targeted actions, developing a plan, and completing your tasks step by step. Only a genuinely hardworking person can achieve real success on a professional level.
The same applies to children for whom schooling and curriculum implementation are essential to their success. Suppose the child does not have time to solve school problems or learn the program due to laziness. In that case, this problem will be significant and requires immediate correction. Laziness causes problems in family life. Such people often argue, are careless about romantic relationships, and do not value partners. They are not used to cleaning up after themselves; sometimes, they are too lazy to prepare food, communicate little with children, and ignore them. Marriage with such a relationship is bursting at the seams and falling apart, slowly wearing out the partners.
If we consider laziness a biblical phenomenon, it should be noted in the list of the seven deadly sins. As with lust, greed, anger, envy, gluttony, and pride, there is a severe punishment for laziness. In Dante Alighieri’s Divine Comedy, the fifth circle of hell is reserved for lazy people.
It is believed that laziness significantly worsens one’s behavior and even encourages more severe crimes, not to work but not too much. It destroys accurate plans for one’s life and good deeds and, at the same time, justifies inaction towards one’s person and society as a whole. Lazy people lose their human face, explain their behavior with unsubstantiated reasons, and justify themselves.
The main reasons for the development of laziness
Sometimes laziness arises spontaneously without affecting human activity’s psychological or somatic sphere. This type occurs very often, but sometimes you can still find an initial factor of laziness. In most cases, it lies in psychological attitude, somatic lack of energy, and energy or stress factors. Often it involves serious mental illness. Of course, complex cases are rarely diagnosed but still occupy a place in the statistics of mental illness among the population.
Causes of laziness in adults
For adults, the reason for laziness may depend on the physical and psychological stress of working hours and the value of rest and recovery. Of course, it will be standard for workaholics with irregular working hours to feel tired at night and reluctant to work. Fatigue is a lack of strength and energy for activity and a desire to be quiet.
Very often, laziness is a lack of vital energy due to somatic pathological changes in the human body or disturbances in the nervous system. In such cases, you should consult a specialist doctor and have yourself tested and examined; perhaps the reason lies inside the body and indicates some violation of internal balance.
Sometimes general character and temperament can determine the productivity of an individual’s work. For example, one person may complete more than 10 tasks in an afternoon and consider this the norm. In contrast, the other will complete two studies of the same difficulty, think that he has overworked himself, and go to rest. It can play an essential role in the competition of workers for a single job vacancy, as labor productivity is crucial. Active and hardworking candidates are much more likely to advance their careers and achieve professional success.
A person who is not interested in the result and believes that he can do it without performing some action does not want to do anything. It indicates a lack of motivation, further incentive, or reason to perform specific actions to engage in some activity. Such motivated people in the future do not make plans but go with the flow.
A prevalent cause of laziness is a lack of willpower. A person constantly tends to postpone the things he is capable of doing today and cannot evaluate them critically. It seems that tomorrow will bring more time, strength, and opportunities. Still, pushing things ahead of you for a long time is impossible. Sooner or later, their accumulation will descend as a heavy burden and put pressure on the shoulders, threatening a real emergency. Most of the time, it is too lazy to do work that is not interesting to a person at all. If the project is not exciting and cannot be moved, then it is not so easy to complete it. In such cases, finding further motivation and forcing yourself is tough.
Sometimes one is very afraid to take on a job that requires significant attention and responsibility as well as demands after the project is completed. It has more to do with a psychological attitude from childhood; when complex or challenging tasks, the parents choose not to trust the child. In such cases, a sense of relative inferiority develops, which does not allow one to shoulder any responsibilities to perform complex and responsible tasks.
Modern scientific research does not stand still and continues studying the human genome every day. Currently, the human gene responsible for laziness has been identified and isolated. It does not predict lazy behavior at all but only provides a tendency. This tendency can be developed and reinforced, or you can fight against it despite the peculiarities of the organism’s genome.
Causes of laziness in children
The causes of this condition in children are not much different from adults, but the predominant factors are pretty other. Lack of motivation is paramount. Tasks at school are done at an average level, which does not need an explanation of the importance of exercise.
Every task is solved because “it should be.” It is not enough to encourage a young organism full of vigor and energy to direct its resources to mental activity. Most school tasks cannot arouse the child’s interest, so he becomes lazy or feels powerless. Too much job complexity for the child can also be a significant reason. Low success may be due to an initial misunderstanding of the essence of the tasks and subsequent laziness with an Inability to complete them. The child cannot solve the problem and soon stops trying. Parents call this condition laziness, swear and punish accordingly, but this does not help. Interest in the company and strong motivation play a central role in the child fulfilling the tasks assigned to him. Children’s horizons and choices are pretty simple. The project must be matched or rewarded accordingly. The child must understand the cause-and-effect relationships between completing tasks and getting what they want.
Signs of developing laziness
It is easy to recognize a lazy person. One only needs to look at his daily routine and the percentage of idle time per day. It does not mean that such a person can only lie without moving for hours in bed and pat for ages. Modern technology has long invented “active” leisure activities for lazy people without significant effort. These include television, the internet, and video games. From a purely physical point of view, there is tiny movement while using these modern innovations. Lazy people put off more important or challenging tasks “until later” and ignore them. They usually avoid responsibility for the punctual fulfillment of a contract or project; they rarely perform urgent work. But as they say, laziness is the engine of progress. Many convenient devices that reduce human labor and simplify tasks were invented by laziness. They were not prepared to do more than was necessary. From the bicycle to modern robots that do housework … Special systems can perform the tasks that require the normal distribution of energy and effort.
Lazy people find it easier to find a way to make things easier for themselves than to do it their way. Sometimes it takes even longer than that, but it’s usually worth it. It is a thousand times easier to convince yourself of the impossibility of getting around something than to do it.
At work, such people keep slow, but at the same time, they are rarely unstable. They do exactly as much as is necessary in order not to be embarrassed and not to drip more. They value their time and energy above all else.
Varieties of laziness and their symptoms
Laziness was classified according to many characteristics, including the reasons and attributes of each. Most notable is its division into the realm of justice. What processes are most affected by laziness? This type of it is called.
There are the following types of laziness:
- Physical laziness … is a feeling that arises as a signal from the body. It may indicate tiredness or exhaustion of the body’s physical potential. Of course, it is necessary to divide the work period and rest correctly for productive work.
- Thinking laziness … Inability to think or analyze any process. It is often seen in knowledge workers when after a hard day, it is difficult to force yourself to count prime numbers or ponder the meaning of the instructions.
- Emotional laziness … More like exhausting all opportunities to express emotions. They are sometimes seen due to fatigue or stress. The person is so tired that he performs a task without showing emotions and cannot reveal them even in the situations that demand it. Apathy toward routine tasks disrupts the work day and makes it impossible to enjoy work.
- Creative laziness … is described as a process followed when coming up with new solutions and ideas. Often, suppose you need to plan something exciting and innovative. In that case, you must disconnect from routine tasks and focus on the important ones.
- Morbid laziness … This is an extreme of all its varieties, manifesting in a lack of motivation to carry out tasks. A person does not want to do anything or deliberately mess up without explaining it for any reason.
Important! Should observe morbid laziness after complete rest and without fatigue.
How to overcome laziness
The way to eliminate laziness depends on the cause of its occurrence, its type, and the degree of negligence of the process. For example, if a person can barely crawl out of bed, it cannot be a sports hobby.
Consider ways to fight laziness:
- If laziness results from physical fatigue, you should rest well, eat, and be distracted.
- You need to see a doctor if the cause is physical or a physical illness. Only he can correctly explain how to deal with laziness caused by a specific bodily disease.
- It is recommended to set high goals, constantly plan for the future, and achieve level by level. You cannot be without a dream because then life will seem useless.
- It would help if you did not put off until tomorrow what you can do today. The golden truth, like none, suits the lazy. You must force yourself to do at least part of the work or schedule it over several days. After the first 10 minutes, there will be enthusiasm and strength to complete the task.
- If the job only causes laziness, then it is worth considering whether this is something you can do for the rest of your life. Perhaps the profession is not suitable, or the vacancy is not very good for these tasks.
- When fear of responsibility becomes the cause of laziness, you should find out who makes the decisions in your life. You need to believe in your strength and increase your confidence. It would help if you started with small but important issues and increased the volume over time. It is the only way to become a truly successful person.
- It is essential to learn how to allocate your time correctly and set clear boundaries for work performance and rest. Planning allows you to frame when you can be lazy and not worry about when you should do the work.
Laziness always leaves you one step behind your dream and is a big problem. It increases ambition, reduces the chances of success in the professional field, and increases the number of disputes in the family. It would help if you got rid of it as soon as possible because the longer a person is in this state, the harder it is to get him out of it. But there are pluses, after stirring a person a little, you can quickly achieve the productivity of his work, the main thing is that the habit of avoiding work in any possible way does not remain.