Negative calorie; find out the myths and facts about negative calorie eating and whether you should be concerned about it in your diet. Negative calorie foods have been talked about relatively recently, and this topic has quickly become popular. It is easy to explain because, according to the theory, a person can quickly get rid of excess weight when using these products. Let’s find out if negative calories can be used in sports.
How negative calorie foods work
It would help if you understood that “negative calorie content” is arbitrary. Every food has a specific energy value indicator. Only near the water is it equal to zero. At the same time, water cannot saturate us. Many myths associated with negative caloric intake in sports have arisen from a misinterpretation of the term itself.
All processes in the body, including food processing, require corresponding energy consumption. They differ in numerical value, but in any case, they have a place to be. Thus, we can safely say that the body spends energy, even in the digestion of food. To restore energy balance, calories from newly received food are used.
If a food has a minimal energy value, then the amount of energy provided to it is close to zero. First, we are talking about indigestible plant fiber. Products containing it cannot compensate for the energy loss that goes into processing the material. Suppose you take the term “negative calorie intake in sports” literally. In that case, the body must spend more energy digesting food than it receives.
However, this is impossible in practice, as no food will cause the body to expend more calories in processing than it can provide. However, some scientists are still convinced that there are foods that take a long time to digest and therefore create a negative energy balance. But this is nothing more than a theory, which currently has no scientific evidence.
From all of the above, it can assume that products with a negative calorie content can only be those with a minimal indication of energy value. It should include vegetables, fruits, and foods that contain only carbohydrates and vegetable fiber. The body must expend 4-7 percent of its total calories to process carbohydrates.
It takes more energy to digest plant fiber. It results in the body not being able to recoup all the costs of fuel used for digestion fully. Sometimes the indicator of energy metabolism can approach zero. That’s the whole truth about negative calories in sports.
What foods can be considered negative calories?
Here is an indicative list of products whose energy value can be considered zero:
- Vegetables – carrots, beets, eggplant, celery, zucchini, green beans, asparagus, garlic, turnips, cabbage, and onions.
- Fruits – citrus fruits, apples, pomegranates, pears, cherry blossoms, pineapples, plums, peaches, grapefruits.
- Berries – watermelon, blueberry, gooseberry, currant, strawberry, cranberry, raspberry.
- Greens – parsley, basil, mint, lettuce, coriander, chervil, and arugula.
Green tea and freshly squeezed juice, which did not add sugar and some spices, have a negative calorie content. Note that some herbs can even speed up the fat filling process. Still, it would help if you did not get carried away, especially for people with digestive problems.
Myths and facts about negative calories in sports
It is evident that negative calorie foods quickly gained a lot of fans. Mostly, these are women, although men are also present in their ranks. You must admit that consuming these products in unlimited quantities is much better than sitting on a rigid diet. However, not all nutritionists agree with this view, and now we will separate the reality from the myth.
Myth number 1
Many people believe that you can eat any food that contains carbohydrates and fat if it is mixed with herbs or vegetables. Therefore, a person will be able to lose weight quickly. In practice, however, this will not happen. None of the foods on the list above can minimize the calorie content of other foods. For example, if you eat smoked ham with cucumbers, the total energy value of such a dish will be high.
If you consume unhealthy food in large quantities, your body will increase fat reserves. To avoid this, we should combine foods with negative calories with meat, fish, or chicken. Therefore, you will provide your body with all the macro and micronutrients. When working with a nutritional plan, it is necessary to use this approach.
Myth number 2
Another common myth about negative calories in sports is that foods with a negative energy index accelerate fat burning. It is essential to understand that the conversation is about energy consumption for food processing and not about fat burning.
To activate the fat acidification process, it is necessary to create an artificial caloric deficit with a nutritional plan and exercise regularly. In the interest of fairness, it should say that if you consume only those products with zero energy value, you can lose weight. However, this will harm the body.
How do you use negative calories correctly in sports?
According to most nutritionists, an obese person should consume calorie-free foods. It will help them lose weight faster. However, it would help if you did everything in moderation, and you should not get carried away. If you want to lose weight, we do not recommend using a low-calorie nutrition program.
Fruits, herbs, vegetables, and berries are excellent micronutrients and plant fiber sources. But there are other substances without which the body’s normal functioning is impossible, for example, animal protein mixtures or polyunsaturated fatty acids.
It suggests that if your nutrition plan includes extremely light foods, it will be difficult for your body to work. To lose weight effectively and most importantly, adding seafood, poultry, low-fat varieties of red meat, and fish to foods with a negative energy value is necessary.
This diet and regular exercise will help you lose weight without feeling hungry. The best time to consume food with minus calorie content is dinner.
Here are some rules on how to include such foods in the diet:
- Consume 0.5 kilograms of fruit and vegetables during the day, which should correspond to approximately 35 percent of the total energy value of the diet;
- Try to drink about two liters of water a day;
- Fruits with berries should be eaten raw, and add herbs to already prepared for dishes;
- Food should be subjected to minimal heat treatment, and it is even better to give a salad;
- Try replacing animal fat when cooking with olive or sunflower oil;
- To lose weight, eat steamed food;
- Fruit salad is best seasoned with yogurt;
- Don’t limit your diet to just one calorie-free food.
Remember that mushrooms are the leader among products with minimal energy value. Unlike other herbal products, they contain many protein compounds with a good amine profile. You surely know that mushrooms are excellent satiety and at the same time they are not high in calories. One hundred grams of mushrooms contain about 20 calories.
We have already said that you must try to consume “zero” raw foods. It will allow you to provide your body with the maximum amount of micronutrients. Instead of chips, it is better to eat apples, peaches, or celery stalks for a snack. In addition, it is necessary to combine these products in the right way.
For example, you should not use them with fatty foods, sugary carbonated drinks, smoked meats, etc. Try to avoid mayonnaise and do not add sugar or sugar instead of the berries. Do not think that it is tough to create a suitable diet. In practice, this is not the case, and you will see for yourself when you try.
The best negative calorie foods
Let’s look at some of the zero-energy foods that can help you fight fat:
- Grapefruit – this is the undisputed leader of our list, which is why it is in the first place. With its help, you can reduce insulin concentration and hunger and clean toxins from the body.
- Broccoli – is also an excellent product for cleansing the body. You can eat it in various ways, and many dishes are made with broccoli.
- Green tea – a lot of attention has been drawn to this drink lately. It is due to the presence in the composition of green tea of unique substances and its ability to increase metabolism and give strength.
- Cabbage – perfectly stimulates metabolic processes and improves the functioning of the digestive system. It is a low-calorie product that can fill you up quickly and be consumed in unlimited quantities.
- Celery – is a source of a large number of micronutrients. The product stimulates food processing and can significantly add to almost any dish.
- Berries – a storehouse of micronutrients that positively affect the functioning of various body systems. You can use the berries while snacking as they can fill you up quickly.
- Water – although the product was in last place, do not underestimate its importance for the body. Remember to consume at least two liters of water a day.
Negative calorie intake in sports: valuable tips
Here are some dietary guidelines from well-known nutritionists:
- Eat small meals often. There should be snacks between main meals, so the digestive system works continuously.
- Without sports, it is difficult to count on victory in the fight against excess weight. During the week, it is enough to train two or three times, and the duration of the sessions should not be longer than 60 minutes.
- Consuming nutrients in the right proportion is necessary, but you cannot deny any of them. Many people believe that by eliminating fat from their diet, they can quickly lose weight. It is not the case because this nutrient is also necessary for the body.